Beware! Blowing the candles on your birthday cake could be bad for your health
No celebration is complete without cakes, let alone birthdays, where your celebration revolves around the cake. But did you know blowing your birthday candles could affect your health adversely? In a recent research , scientists have found out that this famous tradition could increase the bacteria by 1,400%. Yes! It sounds shocking but is true. In a study, researchers from Clemson University in the United States analysed the spread of bacteria while blowing the candles on a birthday cake before cutting the cake.
The researchers said in the study published in the Journal of Food Research, “Bacteria are an unavoidable part of life, present in and on almost everything humans contact. Whether benign or pathogenic, it is important to understand how bacteria are transferred and become familiar with measures for avoiding contamination. Illnesses related to pathogenic bacteria, which can spread rapidly throughout the population, are a major public health concern in today’s society.”
Due to blowing the candles the chances of transferring bacteria in the cake increases drastically. In the research, they said, “Blowing out the candles over the icing surface resulted in 1400% more bacteria compared to icing not blown on. Due to the transfer of oral bacteria to icing by blowing out birthday candles, the transmission of bacteria and other microorganisms from the respiratory tract of a person blowing out candles to food consumed by others is likely.”
Would you still blow candles before cutting your birthday cake?